Rosewood is a most revered wood in instrument making especially guitars!! Prized wood and popular among American guitar makers!! Different combinations of woods make up the right sounding guitar!! The type of wood makes a huge difference in terms of playability and feel. Each wood has its own unique properties and highly influence the tonal qualities of a guitar. Rosewood is a beloved choice in guitar making. It’s a perfect wood for fingerboards, backs, and sides of all types of guitars.
Rosewood for Fretboards
Rosewood Fretboard is a pretty good choice for your guitar!! It’s well-known as the commonly used fretboards among guitar manufacturers. Most of your favourite guitarists will have a guitar with Rosewood Fretboard. It’s just amazing with rich and warm tones with the ability to level out high-end harshness. The wood is highly durable and hence, significant for musicians on a long haul.
Rosewood is classified into two major types, which include Indian Rosewood and Brazilian rosewood.
- Indian Rosewood – Indian Rosewood is available in rich dark color It’s extensively used on most modern guitars.
- Brazilian Rosewood – Brazilian Rosewood is more of dark brown-colored wood. The fretboard looks almost black with a reddish tint and exciting grain pattern. Brazilian rosewood is slightly dense providing the best tonewood for fretboards.
Rosewoods are naturally oily; the fretboards don’t require a separate finish. This attracts most of the guitar makers. On the other hand, Rosewood is a more porous wood that offers a warmer and softer sound. New strings will settle nicely and will not sound too harsh. Rosewood fretboards ensure personalized playing style and comfortable choice for guitarists!!
Rosewood for Back and Sides
Rosewood is a harder wood compared to other tonewoods and hence, it’s highly preferred by guitar manufacturers for backs and sides. Rosewood has strong mids and expands its tonal range in both directions. Rosewood backs and sides produce pronounced lows and crisp highs. It has a large dynamic range and rich overtones.
- Perception – Using Rosewood as your back and sides will improve the perception of sound. It sounds crisp and resonant for our ears.
- Playing style – Each player has a unique playing style. Some play brightly while others have dark hands. If you have dark-hands then Rosewood brings more brightness and resonance to your playing style.
- Style – Rosewood is versatile and looks great on your back and sides.
In recent years, Brazilian Rosewood was listed on the endangered list. So, any rosewood species crossing international borders for commercial purposes will require a correct certificate. It’s a huge drawback in international trade and unhappy news for most of the guitar aspirants. But, don’t lose your hope, there are guitar manufacturers who trade Rosewood legally and work on it!! So, find the best rosewood under your fretting fingers and magnificent backs and sides for a ravishing guitar!! Get immersed in the tonal quality of Rosewood and mesmerize your audience with a unique playing style. Rosewood is a huge attraction in the guitar world!!